RSS

Black Women Are Beautiful

I feel like I am in an eye of a hurricane. Lately I've been browsing news stories about black women and girls to post to this blog. It seems like everything I come across is negative: black women have these ailments, this marriage rate, this rate of higher education, etc. I've been hesitant to post about any of it, because I know we've 'heard it all before'. That's not to say that these statistics aren't newsworthy; they are. But today I choose not to perpetuate their discussion.

We as black women in America have so many positive aspects at work in our favor - regardless of what the media tells us. The title of this post is 'Black Women Are Beautiful', and we are. I know I repeat that sentiment alot, but I really and truly believe that. At the core of this statement is a belief in the value, worthiness and substance of our beings. I don't feel that most of us know our worth, celebrate who we are or do enough to uplift our fellow sisters. Quite frankly, sometimes that's hard to do. Between your 9-5, family commitments, just trying to make ends meet, it can be difficult to squeeze together moments of bliss. But if we can just grab one moment for ourselves, on a daily basis, I think that we will improve our inner beings as well as those we touch. In my personal spiritual life, finding happiness is a priority I continually strive for. I'm not advocating that you follow my path, but I am promoting that we take better care of our minds, bodies, children, and those we love. That we step back a moment from what people want us to be, and we embrace the desires that we want for ourselves.

Like I said, I know that's not always easy.. but it is a worthwhile endeavor nonetheless. And we definitely deserve it, each and every one of us.

0 comments: