RSS

Always think black...really?



Is it just me, or is this a creepy looking doll? I don't think I would've wanted one as a kid. Between the deep-set eyes, lack of eyebrows and melancholy expression, it looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie. I have no idea what company sells this, so if you know please inform me.

This is another entry about something that happened on Facebook (lol, sowwry). One of my FB friends took one of those random quizzes, and her result was a mudpuppy, a kind of fish I'm guessing from the pics associated with the quiz. So I commented that this is a creepy looking doll. Another friend agreed and said, "I bet they don't even have a black one".

Um, what?

I'm not really sure how that was relevant, but it got me thinking. How many times do you expect, request or search for something that is specifically targeted to black people? But the flip side of that question is, when is it ok to be excluded? Why do we always have to be represented with people, items and desriptions that cater to black people?

Its not like we don't have black dolls, black celebrities or black-owned businesses. I'm not saying that everything is honky-dory on the race tip in this country. But I'll never understand how, as the most self-segregated, racist group of people, we always demand to be included, want to be judged by the content of our characters and abilities and not by our skin shade. Then on the other side of our mouth, we yell "but it isn't black!" We intentionally avoid mixing platonically and romantically with people from other races and yet insist that others always consider and include us. Why should they, when we limit and exclude ourselves?

The real point, though, is why do you want a black version of something ugly and creepy anyway? (lol) Is the point that, black people exist in everything, no matter if its weird? (And I'm not calling black people who exist in marginalized sub-groups of American society weird people. I think its wonderful when we can embrace our true selves regardless of how someone else dictates what our image should be.)

What we need to worry about is how to represent and be included in aspects of life that matter, like higher education, fiscally responsible and wealthy circles, higher marriage success rates, better health. Those are the things we should be pointing at and saying "its not black!" instead of creepy mudpuppy dolls.

6 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hi there!

I completely agree with you!

I think that we have some serious self-examination to do... the ways that some blacks have internalized racial rejection have made them hyper-sensitive about trivial issues.

Do we HAVE to have a black version of every single product manufactured for white consumers? No.

You nailed this!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

bwdb said...

"We" want it both ways and down the middle...And haven't learned yet that this is an impossible formula to achieve success...Anyone who has been in this country (or has yet to arrive)needs to adapt and learn some versatility....

Karyn L. Folan said...

Nice post-- and an excellent point. The fact is, we can't have it both ways. We can be "insular" supporting and demanding an "all black world"-- then bitch when we aren't included in a larger society.

Not everything has to come in black--especially ugly, unfortunate, misbegotten and crazy things. I'm usually happiest when those things DON'T come in black. How many times have you heard about some horrific crime or incredibly stupid act and thought to yourself "please don't let this lunatic be black!"

Seriously, though, it's time to recognize that we can't have it both ways-- we're either all in, or all out. As much as some black folks hate the "A-word" (assimilate) the fact is that we have to, or else we are quite literally going to be left behind.

Prosechild said...

WOW! Three of my favorite bloggers, on one post! To what do I owe the honor? :-)

Lisa and CW, you both advocate CRITICAL THINKING which I think ALOT of people are lacking these days. Why would you want a version of anything negative, just for principal's sake? It boggles the mind, it really does. I hope more people start evaluating what should come in 'black' and what we can pass on. What we SHOULD pass on...

Anonymous said...

I think this post was sickeningly dismissive of the FACT that there is a concentrated effort to keep Black female images OUT of sight, while at the same time images of Black males are everywhere.

Honestly, this attitude on the part of some Black females to scream "See I'm not angry or bitter!" in hopes of getting the apporoval of others is really annoying and disheartening. It hurts our young girls to be invisible, so let's cut the crap already. Can we worry about helping them and OURSELVES and forget everbody else already?

Prosechild said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for your comment, although I admit it has me scratching my head.

My post wasn't about male or female dolls, and male and female images by extension. I tend to agree with you, black female images are lacking... but I've seen more efforts to include us so I don't feel compelled to complain on that end. So I wasn't dismissive of that point - it wasn't relevant here. And I think it odd that you insinuate I was hesitant to appear angry or bitter, when the majority of what I write are rants about the way black women and girls are treated. And I usually end each post with a way in which I believe we CAN elevate black women and girls, without concern for black men or anyone else.

So I'm gonna chalk up your comment to someone who read this singular post out of context and didn't read any of the others here.