RSS

Not trying to inundate y'all with this subject, but...

I had a blog on Wordpress about a year ago, where I discussed interracial dating. I posted a reply over on Brownsugar's blog, and saw that my pic came up. Then I remembered the old blog.

Here was my last blog post, "Are HBCUs a disservice to BW dating out?":

I, along with hundreds of thousands of BW across the country, attended an HBCU for college (Florida A&M). My college years were some of the most fun and carefree of my life. Along with the parties, observing Greek life, and collegial atmosphere, it was expected that most of us would go on and accomplish Great Things (i.e., jobs in middle management.. the BC aims so high *sarcasm*). One of the things I was reflecting on the other day is that we pretty much accepted the 8:1 female-to-male ratio at the time of my matriculation. I mean, there's really no way to protest against that or make the situation better.

Some of the 'normal' treatment we received was that the 'desirable' men, in high-income majors such as the 5-yr MBA program, 5-yr Pharm-D program, engineering or architecture, only went for the light-bright sistahs who were in sororities. I'm not knocking any woman based on her skin tone or her accomplishments. It just stings to know that you were viewed as less desirable if you didn't possess those attributes. Some of the other women who were viewed as 'all that' were the affluent girls... those who wore designer clothes, drove luxury cars and lived in expensive apartments that their parents payed for. I, on the other hand, was the child of a trade-school educated mother and an immigrant father... my family is very proud that I was the first to attend college. It was a feat that I even stepped on campus. Needless to say, I couldn't compete with that crowd. So in a lot of ways, my college years were spent marginalized as not rich enough, not fly enough, and not visible enough.

So after experiencing that (and sitting alongside some of those same folks in alumni association meetings.. oh the irony!), its bitterly hilarious to me when those same types of men and women argue that there are indeed 'good' black men around. They were around then, and they aren't around now - those that are marriage-minded, married the sorority girls or girls whose fathers were dentists. And again, there's a significant population of black women who feel that we are marginalized.

While the realization that wm/non-bm are attracted to bw, I'm not seeing that result in my everyday interactions (yet) [at that time I had only been on one date with a non-bm]. And as I peruse the pages of RattlerRoundup.com, I can see that the majority of my fellow alumni women are still single. I wonder how many are waiting for their IBM? How many are wondering if he'll ever come? I have yet to see any women with pics of their non-bm husbands on that site... and there are at least 4,500 members as of this morning. Granted, I haven't seen all of the pics... but I check it frequently (I love social networking sites). And you'd think with all of the women who are pharmacists, attorneys, entrepreneurs, doctors and dentists, that there'd be SOME sistahs who decided to exercise their options... but none so far as I can tell.

The only justification I've found for this is that the HBCU environment is one that fosters loyalty to the black community [and it should, because of its purpose and role in black American history, this post wasn't a negation of that]. Its where you first learn, if you haven't already learned, the rich cultural history of Black people in America. Its where some women learn the beauty of their own brown skin, their own kinky-coily hair. Its where you learn the virtues of sisterhood, service to the community and scholarship. But unfortunately its also where you learn false doctrines like 'nothing but a bm', and other notions like wm don't find you attractive and such high-striving women should settle for the guys who cut class, smoke weed and play video games all day, for the sake of having a piece of bm.

One other side effect of attending an HBCU is that you are culturally ignorant of other racial groups. The only Muslims you see are black and probably from your old neighborhood. Even though FSU was a hop, skip and jump away, it might as well have been in another world altogether. It was pretty much understood that we stayed on our campus and they stayed on theirs. None of my friends from HS who attended FSU dated out. And the only FSU students we ever saw were black students who came to hang out on our 'Set' on Fridays for the block party atmosphere. To this day, I'm struggling to learn what white middle class culture is like, since I have no white friends and only one young white coworker. But I'm getting there. Even if I weren't trying to date inter-racially, this is something I'd do anyway. After 27 years of living in a shell, I feel like I'm bustin' loose.

If I sound kinda bitter, its b/c I kinda am... I didn't reckon such lessons would come with my tuition. Its taken a while to overcome this kind of thinking. I'm just glad I'm now on the outside looking in.




So I log in to delete the blog, and I see this comment that I hadn't seen until now:

Name: pipe u dummies on
response: you are plagued by self hatred. Whites and people who traditionally have 'old money' passed down through generations don't practice such nonsense as we ourselves, black people, do in this country. You didn't have enough sex in school with strange people you just met and got drunk with. You are uptight an mad at those light skinned women who maybe wore tighter clothes and were just as equally beautiful as yourself. No one told you about your curves enough sweety. It sounds like if they did though, you prudishly took it as an insult rather than a pass to get humped. See me and my guys used to prey on chics like you in my school days. You were one we would strive to 'turn out'. Everyone knows the black MALE is the most sought after because of our love making performances. Your lack of free love has left you very bitter indeed. I myself have made love to women of all races and creeds. I'm disgusted by your stereotypes and misconceptions. "Love is Love" kid. (oh yeah I learned that cliché at my Hbcu)





I was a bit surprised, one because I hadn't expected any comments, and two because it was just ignorant. I guess I shouldn't continue to spread the ignorance, but...*shrugs*

This is my response:

you are plagued by self hatred.

Wrong. I've worked very hard to love myself as much as I do, in a society that constantly tells women who look like me that our only value is as an extra in a BET Uncut video. I know exactly who I am and why I'm valuable.

Whites and people who traditionally have 'old money' passed down through generations don't practice such nonsense as we ourselves, black people, do in this country.

I don't really see how this is relevant to anything I've said. Heck, most white/nonblack people don't belong to old-money families. Further, he goes on to list the 'nonsense' that he himself practiced in college and continues to practice. What further annoys me is that on blogs that discuss IR relationships, there's always a response that starts with a history lesson. I just listed how HBCUs cultivate a strong sense of history... so why do I need the history lesson again?

You didn't have enough sex in school with strange people you just met and got drunk with. You are uptight an mad at those light skinned women who maybe wore tighter clothes and were just as equally beautiful as yourself. No one told you about your curves enough sweety. It sounds like if they did though, you prudishly took it as an insult rather than a pass to get humped.

Ok, so, if I didn't get banged by random dudes, just because they called me cute or made comments about my ass, I missed out. Why is 'sex in school with strange people you just met and got drunk with' appealing? Even as a young, dumb 20-yr old I didn't find this appealing. Not because I'm remotely prudish, but there are things called STDs, when last I checked, black women in my age group are disproportionatley suffering from HIV. Way to promote that self-love, spread the brown around... and if I don't, and don't wear tight clothes while doing so, I'm uptight. Yeah, ok buddy. I didn't mention anything about curves, so I don't see how he read I was insulted by reference to them. And I don't know what school he attended, but everyone who wanted to got laid in college. The big girls, the nerds, the brown-and-studious girls, we all got it in if we felt so inclined. I guess he equated my desire for companionship to a yearning for an orgasm.

Maybe I'm biased, but I didn't intend my words to be an indictment of light-skinned women. They have their problems too, and my issue was about HBCUS fostering a cultural vaccuum that its hard, in my post-collegiate years, to move beyond intentionally.

See me and my guys used to prey on chics like you in my school days. You were one we would strive to 'turn out'.

Because I'm an attractive woman, I ran into dudes like this in high school. So by the time I was 18 I knew how to avoid getting 'turned out'. And again, sexual attention does not equal a relationship.

Everyone knows the black MALE is the most sought after because of our love making performances.

This statement proves my point. Its sad that he reduced the worth of black men to how they get down in the sack. Black men are so much more, but my desire for them has waned because of this same mentality about sex. Any man of any race deserves my time if he treats me with the respect that I deserve, is a man of worth and is serious about looking for a mate. I don't have time for sack-hopping dudes and dudes who 'aren't ready for a relationship'.

And I really hate to say, the black male is not the end-all and be-all of lovemaking performances. Yes SOME of them, ALOT of them are good at the do, but SOME are not.. and black men seem to be overly preoccupied with the sexual prowess of other groups of men. I guess that's because they feel that's their only valuable trait.

Your lack of free love has left you very bitter indeed.

No, my lack of free love has left me free of STDs, unwanted pregnancies and questions about why men haven't called after I let them get the panties.

I myself have made love to women of all races and creeds.

So why is it a problem if I do? Hmmm...

I'm disgusted by your stereotypes and misconceptions.

Trust, the feeling is mutual.

I never understand that. If you don't agree with someone's blog, don't respond unless you regularly read it. Which begs the question of why you regularly read a blog you are disgusted by. Its not like I write what I write for black men. I've noticed this at other blogs. If I don't invite you in, don't take it upon yourself to come into my space and try to impose your will.

"Love is Love" kid. (oh yeah I learned that cliché at my Hbcu)

So again, why disagree with me trying to find love outside my race? If all men are equal, why should I be preoccupied with the black man's lovemaking performances? I notice that he didn't mention anything about black women still being single, about the high female-to-male ration, or how HBCUs encourage cultural vaccuums.

Ladies, love who you want, no matter what race you prefer. I just want us to be loved, cherished, respected, adored and valued for the gems that we are. There's no confusion in that.

7 comments:

bwdb said...

Fancy that! Notice everytime a Black women shares a story about her personal experience the 'gatekeepers' jump into full force? That letter was mean to shame, silence and keep you in your place...Remember this is meant to keep us in isolation...If no one gets together to discuss these matters, then we will continue to remain alone on the island...If no one is talking, more than likely there is no plan of action...If there is no plan of action, status quo remains in full effect...Nothing changes...And that my friends is a detractors ultimate goal...So (lemme use a made up word now) irregardless of what type of ugly names, accusations or distractions these folks throw at us...DO NOT STOP TALKING ABOUT IT...DO NOT REMAIN SILENT...The letter Prosechild received is the most typical of played-out rebuttals...But what most of us hear are the more subtle forms of put-downs, preoccupation and/or patronization...One can identify this trend when there are no real solutions offered and only the person bringing up the matter is admonished...


1. Self-hatred...Gee...Never heard that before...Do not be bamboozled into remaining quiet for fear of this label...Question: Five years from now will we eliminate this term...Or will BW who find themselves victim of a crime be accused of this when reporting it? How many gatekeepers/predator-protectionists have used the term "self-hatred" to describe a woman who has a no-nonsense way about her?

2. This animal made reference to turning out women with traditional West African features (Notice the implication that these physical traits are not attractive and deserving of exploitation)...Did he even get the revelation in his own statement? Who exactly was supposed to feel deprived because this sea-urchin did not share his body fluids with them?

3. "Whites and people who traditionally have 'old money' passed down through generations don't practice such nonsense as we ourselves, black people, do in this country."... Once again the bad habit of bringing up what 'other people' do or have rears it's ugly head...That is THE MAIN deficiency IMO which holds a person down...The individual needs to focus on their personal responsibility...This post is discussing the behaviors HBCU's and similar settings...

4. Finally one who hasn't much very many meaningful experiences in life will cling to ''sexual prowess" and rabbit humping "all kinds of women" as an accomplishment...

Unknown said...

Dear All and especially the Black Self indulgent male egotist who wrote this trash. I know that this is a predominantly women's blog however me wife and I spend many hours at night TOGETHER reading these inter-racial blogs and for the most part we agree. This comment is coming from ME, David and it is directed at the Black Male who wrote about something he is obviously very insecure about and that is his own sexual prowess and abilities to be a free thinking spirit and man who knows matters of the heart.
It does not take a man to write the dribble that was displayed here and certainly nobody was impressed with the way he put down, not only Black Ladys but women in general....
I have been married now for 5 years to the most wonderful Black lady I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, knowing and falling in Love with, Lynne completes me in every way.
Black men DO NOT know what they miss and/or have in these beautiful Creatures that they so Mis-trust, abuse and mistreat them. Black lady's are the most beautiful, most sensual, most devoted, caring and loving ladies that walk this planet, and if Black Men can't see this, grasp it and treasure it then let the white men who can do so.
Black men, not all, but for the most part are egotistical, self centered and arrogant and feel that Black women and women in general are there for their pleasure and as he put it "Turned Out" He has NO self respect and NO self esteem and very little education when it comes to matters of the heart....but then neither do Rabbits!
I had to vent, I am sorry if this was not what this blog was meant to be for however this kind or arrogance needs to be put in its place as does this individual! HAVE A GREAT DAY AND THE BEST NEW YEAR EVER. David and Lynne

bwdb said...

@David

Thank you very much for those comments...Sounds like A REAL MAN has spoken!

Prosechild said...

thank you both for your responses!

I don't know why but I was truly bothered by that reply. CW you know that I'm not new to these blogs, but for some reason the lack of reading comprehension (I mean, did he even READ what I wrote??) and self-centeredness got under my skin.

David, I think the issue with the majority of the black men I have encountered is that they're so self-centered that they can't see the forest for the trees. Its very unfortunate and frustrating for a single woman like myself. They assume they are prizes for the simple fact that they are black men, in their minds they don't need to do anything beyond that. And if they are attractive, have a job or an education, oh man! The women in their world must have hit the lottery! And if he possesses more than one of those traits, well we better move heaven and earth to keep him!

Sorry for the sarcasm.. I'm just over that mindset. And glad to see that more and more black women are over that type of selfishness, whether they date/marry IR or not.

Unknown said...

This is in response to Prosechild.....thank you for responding to my mail.....I am sometimes very weary of responding to an all female web blog...I have been asked to leave before however I feel that a man's perspective can sometimes, (not always) but sometimes shed light on an otherwise touchy subject.... I will have to tell you that the over whelming attitude of white women feeling that they own the white male population and now the Black male population is getting a bit under my skin....I have been married to a white women before and I have to tell you it was the worst decision I ever made after looking back at it now and seeing what I have in my life now. Lynne, my wife of five years has taught me so much about myself and my TRUE inner feelings and OUR relationship taht I never knew or would have known had I stayed married to a white women. I have never met such devotion, love, consideration and just plan down to earth beauty as when I met Lynne....and now all of her friends and family....IT is a whole new world! Please don't get me wrong here I have dated Black girls in school and ladies as an adult...and I had more black friends in school then I did white however my eyes were truly opened after I married Lynne.....A very crude statement Lyne made once is so very true and for SOOOOO many reasons: " Once you go Black, you will never go back!" It is crude and I know it was meant for something totally different in context....However I have found it to be sooooooo true! I do agree with everything that you have said in general and specific about MOST Black males.....however I do have some very great Black male friends...but I must admit here that most are married, very happily and very self assured and comfortable with themselves and don't carry a "BOULDER" on their shoulder. If you look at Black men who I admire and consider true men of the world: Barack Obama and Colen Powel, these two men are very comfortable in who they are and how they interact......this cannot be said about most Black men...they are so inadequate and insecure that they feel the only way they can rise above it is to tear others down and the easiest way to do this is lash out at their own Ladys. IF you will note, I have never used the term Women to describe Black Ladys....I feel that word is defacing and derogatory....A Lady is educated and cares for who she is and how she is viewed and a women doe not and it is portrayed very explicitly in the harsh Hip-Hop music of the street thugs and "Hood-Buggers" as Lynne's father describes them. Anyway.....I will always stand up for the Black Lady.....she has added so much beauty and contentment to my life and that goes for all Back Ladys I have met and continue to meet through blogs and pages like this as well as through my wonderful Soul Mate! Take care and know that you have a very strong advocate of your beliefs and philosophies....I would love to add our picture to this blog...but don't know how!

bwdb said...

@David...

Well you're more than welcome on my blog...I try and avoid making it too "girly" lol...

Lorraine said...

I never cease to be amazed. If this guy went on to get his degree, then he is an educated fool. You would be surprised at the amount of doctors, lawyers and other professional bm (and some men in general) are dbr. For Dave & Lynne, that's Damaged Beyond Repair as coined by Evia Moore. This mindset is scary though. These men have more exposure now that Obama is literally in the House. They want to ride his coat tails into the spotlight but don't want to share his love, desire and devotion to a black woman. I am afraid many of them will be thinking like this guy. CW pegged it right. "Irregardless" lol of his prose (sorry Prosechild) it is a distraction meant to get you riled up and totally meant to insult and degrade bw. Unfortunately, some will buy into this and relegate themselves back into the rut and feel it is their lot to suffer. It didn't work this time though. Prosechild is on top of her game. CW literally wrote the book. You're in good company here.