RSS

Tyler Perry's bad intentions


I'm sure none of my blog readers will be surprised to know that I abhor Tyler Perry. He's number 2 on my protest list, following closely behind Michael Baisden. I'll save the explanation of my protest list for another post.

Back in the day, I refused to watch The Nutty Professor movies. I did not find it funny that Eddie Murphy chose to dress up as women characters. Sure, comedians do it all the time, even white ones. I don't base my judgement of right or wrong on who else is doing it. If I think its dumb, its dumb to me, no matter what other race is doing it. Besides, 'white is right' is a saying from a bygone era and isn't a guiding principle of my life. Anyway, I didn't find it amusing that Eddie Murphy portrayed black women as overweight, sex-crazed and uncouth. I particularly found his portrayal of the grandmother's character offensive. I was raised in part by my grandmother and did not appreciate the scenes in the trailer where the grandmother took out her false teeth (leading one to draw a conclusion of what she'd do with her exposed gums) or took off her 'granny panties' in order to seduce the 'skinny' Eddie Murphy. My grandmother would never act like that. It just seemed very unrealistic and stereotypical, and as a young woman (I believe this was high school or college) I just refused to support it. My friends didn't understand, and felt I was taking things too seriously. After a while I learned to stop arguing with people who held entertainment in a higher regard than the dignity of black women.

Fast forward a couple of years. I don't consider myself a Martin Lawrence fan but found some of his sitcom episodes funny. For the life of me I couldn't understand why he chose to be the lead character in the Big Mama's House franchise. That movie was on my protest list. Then, a few years later, Dave Chapelle appeared on Oprah and explained how he refused a movie role where he was forced to wear a dress. After he walked off the set, that's when the stories of his insanity were circulated in the press. His explanation made alot of sense to me. To me, if you want to make fun of a woman, at least cast a woman in the role. Why is a black man wearing a dress funny?

So you can imagine my dismay at the wild popularity of Tyler Perry's stage plays. Speaking ill of the character of Madea is akin to 'talking bad about Ms. Jenkins' from In Living Color. Don't nobody talk bad about Madea! Some fans don't take too kindly to that! (I wonder how many black women are familiar with the mythological Madea?) Other women I know will support Perry simply because he's a black man. "We gotta support that brotha!" they say. That's not a good enough reason to me.

The saggy-breasted, gun toting, violent portrayal of black women is disgusting to me. Its irrationally hilarious to me that black women will come out in droves to support that garbage, but when you openly discuss on the internet problems that the black community face, then people don't want to 'put our business out there'. How is it that people can't see the difference? Money is a sign of emotional support (think about how you feel when a man asks you to go dutch on a date..). If we're throwing money at Perry's work then that's a sign to the entertainment powers that be that that's what black people want to see. Forget the biopics on historical black people, uplifting stories that warm the heart, hell even Denzel needs to fall by the wayside, bring on Madea! *sarcasm*

So not only has Perry gotten rich off making the country laugh at the expense of black women's image, he will openly tell you how black women chase him. I read an article where he related how black women were scaling the fence of his mansion, trying to get with him. Now if that were true (WTF?), that's one thing.. but why would he openly admit that? (And isn't he gay anyway?)

Take a look at Perry's body of work (just the movies). What are his characters saying about black women?
  • Daddy's Little Girls (2007) - a high-powered, mean, single black woman corporate attorney takes a chance on her chauffeur, a convicted rapist with 3 bad-ass daughters
  • Why Did I Get Married (2007) - an overweight black woman puts up with cheating and verbal abuse from her husband, until she decides to love herself (but still takes him back)
  • Meet The Browns (2008) - a broke single mom from Chicago goes to Georgia to meet her father's family for the first time. Hilarity ensues from the country bumpkins
  • The Family That Preys (2008) - a money-hungry black woman cheats on her blue collar 'good black man' with a rich white man, and even refused to let hubby ride her coat tails and helps the white man 'keep a brotha down'
  • Madea Goes to Jail (2009) - After a high-speed freeway chase puts Madea in front of the judge, her reprieve is short-lived as anger management issues get the best of her and land her in jail. But Madea's eccentric family members the Browns rally behind her, lending their special "country" brand of support.

Um, ok...

Black people on the internet have been up in arms over the cartoon of the monkey. Why aren't people upset about how black women are portrayed in Perry's movies? Oh that's right, its about black women. Its only offensive if it involves a black man. My bad, I had forgotten the rule.

If you wonder how stereotypes are perpetrated, how white and other races form ideas about black people they've never met, look no further. We are telling America what to think about us by the garbage that we overwhelmingly support. Ultimately, though, we can't blame Tyler Perry for this garbage, we should blame ourselves for propping him up with our pocketbooks. Hallelujer!

Here's an interesting take on Perry's work, from someone who's actually seen his plays.

And another, from Courtland Milloy, a columnist at the Washington Post.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 99% sister. But I dont think it's just about his depiction of the black woman. He also emasculates black men when he dresses up like a woman. And look at the constant cooning of Mr Brown on Meet the Brown's (TV show and movie). So while he does portray a negative image of black women, he makes us look just as bad. talk about killing two birds with one stone.

D C Cain said...

I'm not a Tyler Perry fan for a few reasons, and I agree with what you said about 97%. There are those people out there who actually are helped after watching one of Tyler's trite movies.

Prosechild said...

Derrick, thanks for your comment.

I'll have to take your word on how Perry portrays black men. Like I said, I don't really watch his movies.

One thing I want to gently point out is that my discussion here focuses on how black women, not men, are depicted.

While Perry's image of the black man may be emasculating, there is Denzel, Samuel L. Jackson, Will Smith and other MAINSTREAM black male celebrities to counteract those images. Black women don't have many corresponding mainstream counters to our negative images.

More importantly, black women are providing his profits, not black men. I don't see black men exclaiming in glee and blindly patronizing his works the way that black women do. If a black man goes to see a Tyler Perry movie, more likely than not its on a date. Whereas single, attached, married black women will go see his films and buy the dvds, to their own detriment since he's putting us down in a not-so-subtle way.

Prosechild said...

Smokie: who are they? No, seriously, who is he helping? I don't see it but realize that my vision is limited by my dislike for his work.

Anonymous said...

Come on now; don't tell me that you don't know women that are just like characters from Tyler Perry's plays or movies. I think it's a sad but true depiction of real life segments of the population. Maybe seeing it on the big screen will cause some to change.

Prosechild said...

Trini, will you give me some examples? Like I said I don't watch so I only have a general idea of what the characters are like and have formed my opinion based on the way his characters fit into stereotypes.

D C Cain said...

Tyler Perry is thanked on a daily basis by women who watch his movies and "get the strength" to leave abusive mates, for one. That's just one example. He has an audience of women who listen to his overall positive message and change their lives. We can't give you any examples because no one (mainstream media) really cares how one black gay man helped one black woman get her situation in perspective.

----
You said:
Like I said I don't watch so I only have a general idea of what the characters are like and have formed my opinion based on the way his characters fit into stereotypes.
----

I find it kind of disappointing that you presented your opinion on something without even watching the subject that you wrote about. I have my problems with Tyler Perry, but I can't deny the good that he does do.

Prosechild said...

I don't have to watch the whole movie to know that I don't agree with his portrayal of black women. The trailers and other people's summaries are enough for me. Just like I knew I wouldn't like Soul Plane, White Chicks or any other movies along those lines, without actually watching/supporting the movies. To me, spending my $10 is letting someone in Hollywoood know that I want to see more of the same, which I don't. I'm tired of the same 'woe is me' kinda thing with black women characters.

When you said that there were women who were helped, I assumed you meant someone you knew personally. I denied the good that he does, because I don't see it around me, which does not mean that there isn't good, and the reason I asked for an example. Out of all the black women I know who watch his plays and movies, no one is attributing their changes to him. Its always "yeah girl, that Madea is fun-NY! *chuckle chuckle*"

D C Cain said...

Yeah... that Madea IS funny. I'm so shame to admit that I watched Madea goes to Jail and I loved it... when Madea was on. The other scen es are slow and too deep as per usual.

Eliza said...

Just to clarify...In Why Did I Get Married, the lady did not take back her husband. SHe met a new guy who loved and appreciated her. But other than that, I agree. Tyler Perry's movies are funny but people have to realize that these movies proliferate a negative image of Black America. Some of his storylines happen in Black America as well as White, Asian, Latino America. Is this how we are going to nationally motivate our children? Why do we continue to proliferate these unneeded stereoypes?

Tammy Chandler said...

I agree with you 94.7% of what you said. But he's Oprah's friend and you know how I feel about O. So what I have decided to do (to be fair to my SHEro (Oprah) and my Mentor (You)) is speak with Tyler's camp about making some changes, lol and/or only watching his movies on bootleg!

Tammy Chandler said...

I agree with you 94.7% of what you said. But he's Oprah's friend and you know how I feel about O. So what I have decided to do (to be fair to my SHEro (Oprah) and my Mentor (You)) is speak with Tyler's camp about making some changes, lol and/or only watching his movies on bootleg!